Feb 7, 2011

The Gingerbread House

Since our home is a 3/2 box with relatively low pitched roof (and therefore, low ceilings), I knew I needed to keep with the cottagey feel.  I looked to my library of favorites and, of course, Traditional Home.  The biggest decision came with the kitchen.  We knew the almond appliances, wood paneling back splash and counter top, and linoleum floors had to go.  We just weren't sure what to do about the refrigerator sticking out all alone on the wall.
I knew I wanted the same white cabinets, carrara marble, dark wood floors, and charcoal walls like Chris Peacock's kitchen featured in a fall Traditional Home.

Beadboard for the bathrooms and subway tile on the walls.

I scoured the Internet for the best deals on sinks, faucets, vanities, knobs, pulls, and towel bars.  The local Habitat for Humanity store had this awesome 18" tile for $20/box:

Southeastern Salvage (a local overstock store) had floor tile for 77 cents a square foot:

The tile for the shower walls and back splash is from Home Depot and was the priciest at 22 cents per piece: 

0 comments:

Post a Comment